Hospice of Palo Alto County
Hospice services are provided for terminally ill patients and their families. A team, consisting of a medical director, nurses, social worker, clergy and volunteers, provide comfort and care for the family and patient. The emphasis is to allow terminally ill patients to live their remaining time in the comfort of their own home with their family, while providing support services to both the patient and family member.
Services of Hospice include:
- In-home nursing care
- Patient and family support services
- Respite care relief for caregivers
Although 90% of hospice care is delivered in the home setting, which can include care in the nursing home, patients sometimes meet criteria for hospital admission for short-term care. Palo Alto County Hospital has a specially designed Hospice room equipped for the comfort of the Hospice patient and their family. A sofa bed for overnight stay by a support person is available in the room as well as other comforts of home.
The Hospice room may be used for:
Symptom management requiring ongoing assessment and frequent adjustments in the plan of care or for symptoms not responding to interventions attempted in the home care setting.
To provide relief for the caregiver by providing care for the patient in an inpatient setting. It is for short-term care only, usually five days or less.
To provide final care for patients who are unable to remain at home during the last days of life.
Other special circumstances are considered on an individual basis.
The Hospice Room:
- Provide the patent and family with the home-like environment during the hospital stay.
- Special accommodations are made for the comfort of the family.
- Hospice staff continue to visit the patient, and work together with the hospital staff to maintain continuity in the plan of care.
- Hospital staff provide the direct care for the patient.
- Use of the Hospice room is subject to the availability of the room at the time of admission.
Payment for Hospice Room
Medicare, Medicaid, and some insurance companies will pay for services provided in the hospital's hospice room. Deductibles and copayments may apply. Hospice staff will discuss any financial responsibilities you may have before finalizing arrangement with the hospital.
For more information call
Palo Alto County Community Health